A post from my dear friend, Ted (or as his friends call him, Big Ted)
This year some of my friends had to say R.I.P to way too many friends and family. It seems like young black men are being hunted like big game. As much death and hate as I saw this year I saw a lot of life. I saw some of my friends get married and build stronger marriages. I see my nieces Aria and Nyla are growing into the most beautiful little ladies. I saw healthy births, new relationships grow, and graduations. I saw people accept the challenge of living healthier lifestyles and happier lifestyles. I myself lost 121 pounds, which is kind of unfair to average cats cause my game was already at a superior level 😈✌🏾😍. I made a few new friends and met some absolutely dynamic individuals. Tuskegee’s homecoming was absolutely off the hinges. I realize that some people will always be there and some people will never be there but thru it all we have to live.
So here is my New Years hope for all my friends and family.
1. That we start to exercise our body, mind, and spirit more.
2. That we quit watching so much television.
3. That we travel more.
4. That we fall in love as many times as it takes to get it right.
5. That we be the best men and women of God that we can be.
6. That we remove negative people from our lives.
7. That we spend time together having fun building positive everythings.
8. That our young men pull there pants up.
9. That our absentee fathers become visible dads.
10. That we respect our elders and teach our youth.
11. That we sacrifice for our friends and family when in need.
12. That our young women understand that giving away their vaginas, asses, and jawbones are not the catalyst for positive relationships.
13. That our sons and nephews behave in a way that would make our ancestors proud.
14. That good manners and respect become the norm and not the exception.
15. That we cross off a few things on the bucket list.
16. That we do something every so often that scares the living sh*t out of us.
17. That we mentor one young person in need.
18. That we take part in the political process.
19. That we enter into loving supportive relationships.
20. That we seek spiritual, psychological, and emotional counsel when in need.
21. That we have economic success but not live for it.
22. That we reach a higher spiritual plane.
23. That we don’t waste our time on jealousy; Sometimes you’re ahead sometimes you’re behind. The race is long & in the end you’re only running against yourself.”
24. That we have great sensual/sexual/loving experiences with our significant other.
25. That we buy one homeless person a meal each when we can.
26. That we dance, sing, laugh, smile, pray, and play as much as we can.
27. That we ask forgiveness for our offenses.
28. That we forgive when necessary.
29. That we look in the mirror and see a reflection of the God/Good us.
30. That we understand everything happens for a reason and just because we don’t know Gods plan doesn’t mean he doesn’t have one.
31. That if we leave, we leave people better than when we met them.
Happy New Year 2016 people. May it be the most prosperous New Year Ever.
“Live while you livin’ cause you a long time dead.”
My intention is for Black people to love themselves and each other. It sounds somewhat silly, I guess; but oftentimes my people are overwhelmed with negative images, bad news, and stereotyped characters about us. I’d like to flip that script. I’d like to remind us, as often as I can, how incredible we are. Read more